Friday, March 7, 2014

John Donne


John Donne 
In our English class we've been reading poetry lately. We've read a lot about John Donne's poems and I've discovered that his poetry is literally unique. There are not other words to describe it because when I first read "The Flea", I realized how intelligent he was for writing something with double meaning that at first sight looks really simple but when you read it again and again, you realize that its more than simple. 
At first sight, when reading "The Flea", I thought that he was talking about a real flea, but once I started to analyze it, I realized the intellect of Donne's because he choose words that are not related to each other at all, but once you give them meaning, you realize that they have a lot in common and can be interpreted as something else. For example, in "The Flea", the "flea" represents marriage between a man and a women
 John Donne is famous for his wit, this means that his poems are full of multiple meanings because he uses a lot of words that have double meaning but because of the context of the other words, we can understand what he is talking about. 
Undoubtedly he is different from other poets because in comparison with others, he uses a lot of "common words" in his poems that have a hidden meaning and other poems use a lot of "complex words" that can cause confusion towards the reader because sometimes we don't know what do they refer to. 
My opinion about his poetry is that its universal in the way that he talks about a lot of themes such as love, war, religion, etc. I believe that he mainly used "common words" with different meanings because he thought that the importance of the message in his poems, depends on every person and their own interpretation.
 
"Since you would save none of me, I bury some of you."

No comments:

Post a Comment